The dust has finally settled after the unveiling of Samsung’s newest flagship; the Galaxy S9 and S9+.
After all the rumoured design, specifications, features and hype, the mobile phone giant outdoored the S9 and S9+ at MWC 2018 which had the likes of Ghana’s own mNotify present at this year’s event.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
Both the S9 and S9+ will have Snapdragon 845 CPUs, with the former phone packing 4GB of RAM and the latter a 6GB RAM respectively. They will run on Android Oreo 8.0.
For the first time ever, the two models have one major difference besides the screen size the main camera. The two models share the new sensor with variable aperture, but only the S9+ comes with a secondary telephoto camera borrowed from the Note 8.
Well, Samsung “borrowed” the iPhone X camera feature called the Animoji but with a twist. Samsung’s AR Emoji feature is evident in the S9 and S9 +. The Augmented Reality (AR) addition creates an emoji of your face (a generic picture) and generates a cartoon version of yourself by taking a photo of you staring straight into your camera.
Samsung built stereo speakers into the S9’s front and bottom, which make it 1.4 times as loud as the S8. For the sound lovers, I’m guessing this is good right?
Specs and Features
- Body: Polished aluminium frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; IP68 certified for water and dust resistance. Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Titanium Gray, Lilac Purple colour schemes.
- Display: 5.8″/6.2″ Super AMOLED Infinity, 2,960x1440px resolution, 18.5:9 (2.06:1) aspect ratio, 568/531ppi; HDR 10 compliant.
- Rear camera: S9 and S9+: 12MP, f/1.5 and f/2.4 aperture, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, OIS; multi-shot image stacking; multi-frame noise reduction; 2160p/30fps video recording; 1080p/240fps; 960fps super slow-mo with automatic motion detection. S9+ only: Secondary telephoto 12MP, Type 1/3.4″ sensor, OIS and Dual Pixel PDAF, f/2.4 aperture, 52mm equiv. focal length
- Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1440p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 8.0 Oreo; Samsung Grace UX; Bixby virtual assistant with Bixby Vision; KNOX with Intelligent Scan
- Chipsets: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845: octa-core CPU (4×2.7 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver), Adreno 630 GPU. Exynos 9810: octa-core CPU (4×2.8 GHz 3rd-gen Mongoose + 4×1.7GHz Cortex-A55), Mali-G72 MP18 GPU.
- Memory: S9: 4GB of RAM; S9+: 6GB of RAM; 64GB / 128GB / 256GB storage; microSD slot for cards up to 256GB, UFS cards support.
- Battery: 3,000mAh/3,500mAh Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging; WPC&PMA wireless charging.
- Connectivity: Single-SIM, Dual-SIM available in certain markets; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.18 downlink; USB Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader; iris recognition/face recognition; AKG by Harman Stereo Speakers with Dolby Atmos; 3.5mm jack; bundled AKG headphones.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 will be sold in Ghana by the end of March at GHc3400 and GHc3900 for the S9+ when it hit shops.
Prices are subject to change based on the prevailing dollar rates and Pre-order arrangements in each country. #
Full specs of the Samsung Galaxy S9
- OS: Android 8 (Oreo)
- Display: 5.8-inch Quad HD Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:9 (529ppi)
- Body: 147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm, 163g, IP68
- Rear Camera: SuperSpeed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor with OIS (F1.5/F2.4)
- Front Camera: 8MP AF (F1.7)
- Application Processor: 10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.8 GHz Quad 1.7 GHz Quad)
- Memory: 4GB RAM / 64GB Micro SD Slot (up to 400 GB)
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Charging: Fast Wired Charging compatible with QC 2.0 / Fast Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
- Network: Enhanced 4X4 MIMO / CA, LAA, LTE Cat.18
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT , USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
- Payment: NFC, MST
- Sensors: Iris sensor, Pressure sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint sensor, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, HR sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
- Authentication: Lock type: pattern, PIN, password
- Biometric lock type: iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, face recognition
- Intelligent Scan: biometric authentication with iris scanning and facial recognition
- Audio: Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos-enabled surround sound
- Audio playback format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
- Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
- Virtual Reality: Gear VR with Controller (SM-R325NZVAXAR), Google Daydream View